Silver National Navigation Award Course
At this intermediate NNAS level candidates are expected to add new skills to those acquired at Bronze NNAS level.
They are also expected to select and apply skills in a variety of straight forward navigational situations. Silver NNAS Course
This is a 2 day non-residential training course which includes both training and assessment.
It is not neccessary to have attended the Bronze NNAS Course before attending this course. However, you will need to have the skills and knowledge taught at the bronze level and some practice using them before attending.
By the end of the course you should have gained the skills to:
- Devise a strategy for a navigational stage, to break it down into 'coarse' and 'fine' navigation and to use clear features en route to check that they are 'on course'.
- Understand and apply the following components of a navigational strategy 'aiming off', 'attack points', 'collecting features', simplifying navigation, and apply them in varying terrain.
- Demonstrate an understanding of contour features, both large and small, on the map and on the ground.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the navigation physical and factors affecting route choice.
- Judge distance accurately on the map and on the ground.
- Plan a safe walk or route involving Silver award skills and strategies.
- Employ simple relocation strategies when lost.
- Use a compass to follow accurate bearings and to check the direction of footpaths or other linear features on both map and ground.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the effects of fatigue and physical discomfort brought on by navigating in demanding countryside and/or extreme weather condition. Knowledge of basic first aid is also expected.
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of the Countryside Code and current access legislation as for the Bronze level together with an appreciation of basic environmental factors in mixing 'man with nature' (e.g. footpath erosion and methods of dealing with it), and responsibilities towards other countryside interests like farming, forestry and conservation.
Book Your Silver National Navigation Award Course
|24-25 June 2017||£100||n/a|
|23-24 Sep 2017||£100||n/a|
|25-26 Nov 2017||£100||n/a|
Join a Waiting List
If your chosen departure date for your holiday or course is showing "No Spaces" why not join the waiting list? We can let you know when any spaces become available for booking.Join a waiting list
Groups & Private Guiding
Additional dates or spaces are available for group booking and private guiding by arrangement. Let us know your basic requirements and we'll put something together for you.Tell us your requirements