Gold National Navigation Award Training Course
This NNAS level represents supreme navigational technique and both the competence and assessment criteria which follow, reflect its demands:
It is not neccessary to have attended the Silver NNAS Course before attending this course. However, you will need to have the skills and knowledge taught at the silver level and some practice using them before attending.
By the end of the course you will have covered the following:
- Show confidence in the use of the skills detailed in Bronze level and Silver level in open countryside or on hillside as well as in forests and mountain environments.
- Demonstrate the use of contours, to identify landforms (e.g. hilltops, valleys, spurs, re-entrants and knolls) and utilise them as the prime method of navigation. Demonstrate use of ridges and valleys as reliable handrails and the size and relationship of contour features, (e.g. a series of knolls) and use them for micro navigation to specific locations.
- Demonstrate the use of distance judgement, compass skills and continuous contact (by frequent checking) in complicated areas. This involves the use of both map to ground and ground to map techniques, the selection of appropriate techniques for each situation, and the integration of these into a navigation strategy.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan a safe walk or route in open country in line with set criteria of duration, difficulty and objectives. This must involve “Gold” NNAS skills and strategies and may be used by the candidate for practice prior to assessment if appropriate.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the special physical and navigation demands posed by hill and moorland terrain, poor weather conditions, daylight hours and the effects of fatigue and discomfort on decision making and execution of a selected route. This includes awareness of the effects of heat and cold.
- Application of good countryside practice and awareness as for Bronze level and Silver level.
Book Your Gold NNAS Training Course
No Scheduled Dates Remaining
Looks our scheduled dates for this activity are finished for this year. You can still book this acivity privately for yourself or a small group, just contact us with your requirements.
Join a Waiting List
If your chosen departure date for your holiday or course is showing "No Spaces" why not join the waiting list? We can let you know when any spaces become available for booking.Join a waiting list
Groups & Private Guiding
Additional dates or spaces are available for group booking and private guiding by arrangement. Let us know your basic requirements and we'll put something together for you.Tell us your requirements