Bronze National Navigation Award Course
The National Navigation Award courses (NNAS) are a range of practical courses aimed at enabling walkers to gain the necessary skills to navigate in a variety of terrain.
This staged scheme offers a systematic and progressive approach to finding your way around in the countryside and opens up the possibility of independent walking with increased confidence.
By the end of the course you should be able to demonstrate competence in the following areas:
- Understanding the nature of a map as a two dimensional plan.
- Understanding map symbols, scales and the underlying principle of the magnetic compass including cardinal points. Ordnance Survey maps at scales of 1:25,000 and 1:50,000, Harvey Walkers maps, specialist maps from organisations like the British Waterways Board or Orienteering maps - or a selection of these - will be covered here depending on circumstances and resources. The part played by grid references and magnetic variation will depend on the type of map being used.
- Take a 6 figure grid reference for any given position and also locate such a reference on the map.
- Orientate the map with and without a compass.
- Use the orientated map to identify land features and indicate direction of travel.
- Choose simple navigation strategies and routes.
- Use linear features (e.g. paths and tracks) as handrails in simple navigation exercises.
- Estimate distance on both map and ground.
- Using a basic understanding of contours, match major landforms like hills and valleys to their map representation.
- Plan a safe, suitable walk.
- Relocate using simple techniques on paths and other handrails.
- Understand access rights and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate an awareness of local and national access issues and access legislation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Countryside Code, and of procedures to be followed in the event of an emergency.
Book Your Bronze Navigation Course
|23-24 Sep 2017||£100||n/a|
|14-15 Oct 2017||£100||n/a|
|25-26 Nov 2017||£100||n/a|
Join a Waiting List
If your chosen departure date for your holiday or course is showing "No Spaces" why not join the waiting list? We can let you know when any spaces become available for booking.Join a waiting list
Groups & Private Guiding
Additional dates or spaces are available for group booking and private guiding by arrangement. Let us know your basic requirements and we'll put something together for you.Tell us your requirements