By the end of the course you be competent to plan and execute walks through gentle, rolling areas in lowland terrain, where routes will be based on using linear features - paths, tracks, streams, boundaries, etc.
This 2-day non-residential course includes training and assessment.
The following topics will be covered:
- Understanding the nature of a map as a two dimensional plan.
- Orientate a map with and without a compass, and use it to identify land features and indicate direction of travel.
- Choose simple navigation strategies to create routes.
- Use linear features (e.g. paths and tracks) as handrails in simple navigation exercises.
- Estimate distance on both map and ground.
- Use a basic understanding of contours, to match major land-forms like hills and valleys to their map representations.
- Understand map symbols, scales and the underlying principle of the magnetic compass including cardinal points.
- Take a 6 figure grid reference for any given position and also locate such a reference on the map.
- Plan a safe, suitable walk.
- Relocate using simple techniques on paths and other handrails.
- Understand access rights and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate an awareness of local and national access issues and access legislation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Countryside Code, and of procedures to be followed in the event of an emergency.
This course is also available privately. Please contact us for more information.
Carbon Conservation - Give Something Back
Support the C-N-Do Scotland Carbon Conservation project and contribute to the reduction of the CO2 and Carbon released from your day to day travel by improving the natural Carbon reservoirs of Scotland.
Start time at C-N-Do office: 09.00
Finish time at C-N-Do office: 17:00
Assumes: No previous knowledge
Location: Except where stated otherwise, courses are operated from our Stirling base. Other locations are used from time to time.
Course Duration: 2 day non-residential course including and informal assessment
Covers: The basic routine, scale, distance judgement, use of linear features, contour interpretation, environmental and First Aid awareness.
Minimum number: 3
Maximum number per instructor: 6
Assumes no previous knowledge.
Sorry, there is currently no video available for this activity.
Maps of the area & background reading
All maps and course notes will be supplied.
No Scheduled Dates Remaining
Looks like our scheduled dates for this activity are finished for this year. You can still book this activity privately for yourself or a small group, just use our enquiry form and provide us with your requirements.
- Price: From £82.50pp (group)
- Instructional Days: 2 days
- Group per instructor: 6
- Meet: C-N-Do Office, Stirling
- Finish: C-N-Do Office, Stirling