Lowland Leader Award Assessment
The Lowland Leader Award (LWLA) is a nationally accredited award developed by MTUK (Mountain Training UK) and operated by the MTS, MTE, MTNI and MTW as part of a National Framework of awards for those leading and instructing in hill walking, climbing and mountaineering. The HML is also aimed at those who have already achieved training or accreditation through the wide range of local or organisational schemes available. The minimum age for entry into the scheme is 17.
All MTUK awards are designed for those with a personal commitment to the activity and are centred on the belief that personal experience and understanding of the inherent risks of hill walking and climbing is the best way to maximise safety and good judgement.
Scope of the Scheme
The Lowland Leader award offers the opportunity to gain experience and demonstrate technical competence in leading groups on one day walks in lowland countryside and woodland in summer conditions. The terrain should fit ALL of the following criteria:
- In the UK and the Republic of Ireland
- Walks must not cross any hazardous terrain (eg. cliffs, very steep slopes, water hazards, etc).
- Throughout the walk the group should never generally be more than 3km away from a key access point such as a car park, lay-by or populated area. Any potential escape routes should also lie within the scope of the defined terrain for the Lowland Leader award
- Walks will require the ability to plan routes, use simple navigation skills using a map and compass to be self-sufficient.
- Walks must follow paths or tracks that are both marked on a map and clearly visible on the ground, and that do not do not require navigation across untracked areas.
- Walks must use bridges or other recognised water crossing points.
- Walks must only take place in summer conditions (ie. when there is no unavoidable snow or ice on any part of the route).
The Lowland Leader Award Course is great for:
- Countryside Rangers
- Tourist Guides
- Parents & Guardians
- Youth Workers
- Club Leaders
Book Your Lowland Leader Award Assessment
|3-4 Dec 2016||£120||n/a|
Join a Waiting List
If your chosen departure date for your holiday or course is showing "No Spaces" why not join the waiting list? We can let you know when any spaces become available for booking.Join a waiting list
Groups & Private Guiding
Additional dates or spaces are available for group booking and private guiding by arrangement. Let us know your basic requirements and we'll put something together for you.Tell us your requirements